Wednesday, 2 July 2014

Made In Mexico

I went back to the Fashion & Textile Museum a couple of weeks ago to visit their latest exhibition Made In Mexico: The Rebozo in Art, Culture & Fashion.


Now, I'm partial to all things Mexican, especially after visiting a rather fabulous exhibition of Mexican death art when I was at school, so I was really looking forward to this one, and it didn't disappoint. 

The exhibition focuses on the rebozo, a type of shawl or scarf, which is seen as a symbol of national identity in Mexico. It looks at the garment itself, with many examples on display, alongside artworks and fashion garments which have been inspired by it.

Rebozos are woven across Mexico and have regional variations - some are woven from silk, others from wool, with intricately knotted fringes, and sometimes with added embroidery. 


It's quite a feast for the eyes and a great exhibition to visit whether your interest lies in Mexican culture or textiles (or in my case, both!). 


Made in Mexico: The Rebozo in Art, Culture & Fashion is at the Fashion & Textile Museum in London and runs until 31 August 2014. 

2 comments:

  1. Wow that looks right up my street (to coin a phrase) will def plan a visit.
    glad I found you (via a fb comment you left on Love sewing mag page!)
    bestest daisy j

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great! Thanks for popping over. I need to take another look at that FB thread as I expect lots more have been added now - really good!

      Delete